Tenant Guide

Who do I speak to if I have problems with my tenancy?

All of our lettings agents are fully trained to deal with the majority of enquiries from tenants and are happy to help. If the property you are renting is managed by Truepenny's and you need advice or assistance regarding your tenancy you can contact our head office.

Truepenny's Property Consultants


16 Lordship Lane
SE22 8HN

Dulwich: +44 (0)20 8693 2277

Email: info@truepennys.com


38 King William Walk
London, SE10 9HU

Greenwich: +44 (0)20 8858 9595

Email: info@truepennys.com


1a The Village
London, SE7 8UG

Charlton: +44 (0)20 7639 1000

Email: info@truepennys.com

What references do I need to get?

For a long let you will be asked for a previous landlord, bank, employee and/or character references.

For a short let you will be required to produce proof of address and either your passport, national ID card or driving licence.

For a short let tenancy where a company is the tenant you will be required to produce proof of ID for those staying at the property and a letter from the company.

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

You as the tenant are responsible for setting up accounts with the utility companies directly when you move into your property and also when you leave, taking care to provide meter readings at the beginning and end of the tenancy.

How do I serve notice to vacate my property?

Notice would need to be served in accordance with your particular lease agreement by recorded delivery to Truepenny's Property Consultants, 16 Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, SE22 8HN.

What penalties will I incur should I break my lease agreement early?

The primary liability is for rent until the end of the contract or its break clause point.

If the landlord agrees to re-market the property and once a new tenant is found, then your liability will be reduced to covering the landlord's commission and any other expenses from when the property is re-let. Payments would be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the unexpired term of the contract.

What should I do with the keys at the end of the tenancy?

Unless specific instructions are given by your landlord keys should be taken to your local Truepenny's office. Please ensure all sets are returned, a receipt is obtained and that this happens on or before the last day of your tenancy.

Please note that you will be liable for rent on a daily basis until the keys are returned.

What is the Tenant Deposit Protection Service?

Your deposit will be protected by the Deposit Protection Service.

In line with legislation introduced in April 2007 all deposits being paid by a tenant for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy must be registered with a recognised Deposit Protection Service within 14 days. Where appropriate, Truepenny's will register the deposit on your behalf.

How do I renew my contract after the first year?

You should inform us 60 days prior to the end of your tenancy to allow enough time to arrange all the related administration.

When is my deposit returned to me?

Once the check-out has been conducted, the property has been cleaned to a satisfactory standard and Truepenny's has received instructions regarding the deposit from the landlord, the money will be returned to your account, less any agreed deductions.

This typically takes 10 working days. Please contact the management team for further information.

Fees for tenants

Pre-tenancy administration charge: £200 (Inc. VAT) Reference Fee: £60 (Inc. VAT) per person (excluding Guarantors) and £120 (Inc. VAT) per company tenant.

Inventory Check-In: The cost of the check-in depends on the size of property and is met by the tenant (Minimum cost £120 (Inc. VAT) based on a studio fiat in London).

Please ask your Truepenny’s office for the price specific to the property you are interested in. Alterations to the inventory post move-in: £0


Equivalent of six weeks rent (unless agreed otherwise) for long lets and four weeks rent (unless agreed otherwise) for short lets. This is usually held by us as stakeholder (unless otherwise specified) for the duration of the tenancy.


Truepenny’s may require a Preliminary Deposit from you. This will be put towards your first rental payment and will only be refunded in the event that our client elects not to proceed. Payment of this sum does not constitute the granting of a tenancy.


Prepare Renewal Memorandum: £90 (Inc. VAT)
Prepare Renewal Tenancy Agreement (where changes to tenancy terms dictate): £150 (Inc. VAT)


In the event that you wish to replace yourself or another member of your household part way through the tenancy Truepenny’s will charge £250 (Inc. VAT) per tenant to cover the administration involved. All such changes to your tenancy are subject to the landlord’s approval


Administration charge for replacing missing items £30 (Inc. VAT) plus the cost of the item(s)
Administration charge for instructing repairs for tenant damage (including cleaning): £60 (Inc. VAT) plus the cost of the damage Administration charge to arrange for the repositioning of landlords furniture, fixtures and fittings: £30 (Inc. VAT) plus the cost levied by the contractor. Future landlord reference: £30 (Inc. VAT)


Stamp Duty Land Tax: Payable on tenancies where the rent exceeds £125, 000. Please contact HMRC for further information.